50 Days: Day 15

One of the best stories in all the Old Testament is the story of Esther. Her parents were killed so she was raised by Mordecai. He presents her to the king of Persia and she becomes the new queen. Her husband doesn't know she is an Israelite. The king is tricked by the wicked Haman into signing a decree to kill all the Jews in the kingdom. Mordecai entreats Esther to go to the king to beg for the life of her people. She is hesitant because she could lose her life just for approaching the king without an invitation. Mordecai then reminds her, "Think not with thyself that thou shalt escape in the king's house, more than all the Jews. For if thou altogether holdest thy peace at this time, then shall there enlargement and deliverance arise to the Jews from another place but thou and thy father's house shall be destroyed: and who knoweth whether thou are come to the kingdom for such a time as this? Then Esther bade them return Mordecai this answer, Go, gather together all the Jews that are present in Shushan, and fast ye for me, and neither eat nor drink three days, night or day: I also and my maidens will fast likewise; and so will I go in unto the king, which not according to the law: and if I perish, I perish." Esther 4: 13-16.
Again, I love that question--who knows whether you are here for such a time as this? When I am faced with challenges (none as difficult as Esther's) if I think of Esther I am reminded that maybe I am here for a reason. It's not just chance that places us in situations and circumstances. Esther's example is further illustrated in her response--she fasts and prays and asks those around her to do the same--and then whatever happens, happens. She works as if everything depends on her but she prays as if everything depends on the Lord. Can't go wrong with a combination like that, huh?

Comments

Popular Posts