50 days: 8 to go

When I was eight years old, I was baptized a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. My brother, Ralph, baptized me. I don't remember a lot of that day except the water was warm. My dad confirmed me afterwards so I received the gift of the Holy Ghost. As I have watched each of my five children get baptized and think back on my baptism, I have wondered why we are baptized at such a young age. But I have realized that Satan doesn't have power to tempt children under the age of eight. My job as a parent is even more important when the children are young--something I'm sure I could have done better with. I have also realized that the Lord gave us many ways throughout our lives to learn about the baptismal covenant. We may not understand everything when we are baptized but we understand enough to make that important covenant. Then it is important to spend the rest of our lives learning more and living that covenant to the best of the ability. Today's scripture has probably the most concise explanation of the baptismal covenant there is.
Mosiah 18: 8-10, "And it came to pass that he said unto them: Behold, here are the waters of Mormon (for thus were they called) and now, as ye are desirous to come into the fold of God, and to be called his people, and are willing to bear one another’s burdens, that they may be light;
Yea, and are willing to mourn with those that mourn; yea, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort, and to stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places that ye may be in, even until death, that ye may be redeemed of God, and be numbered with those of the first resurrection, that ye may have eternal life—
Now I say unto you, if this be the desire of your hearts, what have you against being baptized in the name of the Lord, as a witness before him that ye have entered into a covenant with him, that ye will serve him and keep his commandments, that he may pour out his Spirit more abundantly upon you?"


There is NOTHING better than to have His spirit more abundantly!

Comments

Popular Posts