I like movies

No controversial post today. . . unless you think movies are controversial. Ok, ok they can be but not today. It's kind of ironic that a language teacher (one who touts the benefits of reading) is posting about movies but I like 'em. I like 'em a lot!
  A couple weeks ago when the kids went with their dad, I took myself to the movie. I had been wanting to see this movie but Lindsey and Jordan didn't so I waited until they were gone and I went. No, it wasn't The Help or a Ghandi-like movie about social issues or world peace. It was the newest Mission Impossible movie. Ya, I know not earth shattering stuff but I wanted to see it. And guess what, I liked it. As I was waiting for the movie to start, I realized I DON'T like Tom Cruise but I do like many of his movies. Cruise movies I like: Mission Impossible (original), The Firm, Valkyrie, War of the Worlds, Minority Report, A Few Good Men, and Rain Man. A Few Good Men is one of my all-time favorite movies. I can quote it too well. Note: I only watch the PG versions of his R-rated movies. So thinking of his movies, I couldn't really figure out why I like the movies but not him. Well I know why I don't like him--his politics, his antics on Oprah, his rants about psychiatric medicine, his arrogance, etc. etc. But why do I like his movies? I don't know except that I like action movies, he's not bad to look at, and his movies are mostly mindless, escapism fair that appeals to me. I like a lot of escapism-type movies. I like action, comedy, drama, and musicals. Some of my all-time favorite movies: Mamma Mia, Oklahoma, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, The Fugitive, U-571, Sneakers, Vertical Limit, Wizard of Oz, The Sound of Music, Steel Magnolias, Groundhog Day, The Guardian, Inception, The Italian Job, Sahara, The Ten Commandments, Dead Poet's Society, Mr. Holland's Opus, most any Disney movie and of course Gone with the Wind. I'm not really sure what my taste in movies says about me. I don't really care. A great site to get the inside scoop on movies: Internet Movie Data Base. What are your favorites?

Comments

Kathy said…
I agree, Tom is not bad to look at ;-)

I like many of the same movies you listed. I also love chick flicks - the Jane Austen adaptions my favorites for sure. A couple movies that I've seen on TV that I don't remember what the titles were but they had Bruce Willis and Matthew Perry - so messed up but made me laugh. And another one with Bruce Willis - he and another guy I think try to rob a lady and she ends up joining them - something like that - again, so messed up but made me laugh.

What does that say about me?

I should have commented on homework but I really didn't know what to say about it - I didn't like it as a student, don't like it as a parent but I think the majority of our homework experience in this house hasn't been too unreasonable. It was an interesting post- thought provoking and hard to know what the perfect balance is.
Sandy said…
One of my most favorite movies is Last of the Dogmen. My children kid me about it. I also love Dances with Wolves. I love all John Wayne movies when he is a cowboy. I love all Tom Selleck movies when he is a cowboy. No, really I just love Tom Selleck. Cowboy movies, to me, are comfort movies. I ALWAYS watch them when I am sick in bed.
The Wells said…
I love to watch movies. I love going to the movies. I like all the movies on your list. And I would add Stargate and the newest Star Trek. I love the Harry Potter movies too. Those are what I watch when I am sick.

Popular Posts