The Homework Debate

So this post is probably going to open a huge can of worms but I'd like to hear some opinions on the topic of homework in school. 
As a faculty, we are reading a book called Rethinking Homework by Cathy Vatterott also known as The Homework Lady. I'm about half way through the book so I haven't totally made any conclusions. But my first impression before starting the book was this is a crazy idea. I admit, I'm old school.  I believe that if a teacher assigns it, it should be done. I don't know whether homework boosts student achievement but I think there's something to be said for learning to do something unpleasant just because it's required. I feel that one thing students can learn in school is the ability to do unpleasant things just because. I don't know of a job in the world where a person can always do exactly what he/she pleases at all times. I also think homework can help students learn responsibility. They can be responsible to do the work, keep track of the work and return the work the next day. I also think some skills need extra practice and homework is a great vehicle for extra practice. As a mother, I felt it was my job to help my kids get their homework done. This involved a lot of time as the children were young but the time dropped off as the kids got older and learned the importance of managing their time.

So far the basic premise of the book is that society has changed and therefore schools must change to accommodate those changes. The author says that homework cuts into precious family time and parents are pushing back in claiming the right to say no to homework. My argument here is that it seems the students who do their homework have better family lives/family time together, while the students who don't do their homework have the least involved (for whatever reason) parents with the least time spent together as families. I know society has changed--that is one of my biggest concerns in being an educator today. I'm just not sure a change in society's values should equal a change homework practices.

I'm not totally defending homework either.I think some homework is excessive and unnecessary.  I just have a problem with the current trend of questioning everything educators do nowadays. I don't see people going to the doctor but totally disregarding the advice given. I don't see people going to their accountant but then saying they know what's best to do on their taxes. So why do people send their kids to school and question the practices of a professional? And I think books like the one I'm reading can undermine the professionalism people feel toward teachers.

The author makes some good points for teachers: 
  • Design quality homework tasks
  • Differentiate homework tasks
  • Go from grading to checking
  • Decriminalize the grading of homework
  • Use completion strategies
  • Use homework support programs
As I finish the book, I'm sure I will get a better understanding of what each of above elements look like. And maybe I'm a little defensive on the homework front because I already feel I assign only quality tasks. In my classroom, most of the homework consists in doing what was NOT finished in class. For the most part, if students use their time wisely, they won't have homework. I also ask more than basic comprehension questions on reading assignments. I ask questions that make the students think. We recently read a novel in class and the most common comment was that my assignments weren't all that difficult but they did make them think. That's what I want to hear! Isn't thinking the goal? I also do many completion assignments like on grammar activities. I can assess what they know or get with just a completion grade. Our school also has many homework support programs in place to help students learn the responsibility of completing their homework.
Overall, I am just fearful of making a blanket NO HOMEWORK policy. I think there are some benefits to homework. But I'd like to hear from others. Am I too old-fashioned? What do you think, as a parent or educator, about homework in school? What has been your experience with homework?

Comments

Julie J. said…
I HATE homework! But, I'm not completely opposed to it. I believe in re enforcement in the home. I have no problem helping Sam study spelling words, proof reading reports, or math and language worksheets. I like seeing what he is working on and watching him study and work. I like seeing the lights go on and seeing him "get it". That being said, I don't think my kid should be doing school work more than one hour per day outside of school. At his age one hour is too long and I don't think at any age it should be more than one hour a day, and I'm talking all classes put together. Not per class. It's too much.
With band, scouts, piano all in a week I have had to wake Sam up early this year to do his homework in the mornings. Luckily his teacher sends it all home on Fridays for the next week so we know what we are dealing with.It is working well. But when we did it in the afternoons it was horrible. And he's only in fifth grade. What happens when he's older and busier with activities?
Sam had a horrible (I don't use this word lightly) teacher in 3rd grade who didn't manage her class at all. He sat at his desk and ripped paper all year. Randomly, through out the year he would come home with a missing work list with 25-35 assignments on it and a note that said, "Due in three days." This was the worst! We would spend three days yelling at each other and crying at each other.Sam's math and reading scores dropped two grade levels. It has taken two years to undo the damage she did. So, not necessarily a homework issue, more of a class management issue, but she made it a homework issue. I'm sure this isn't what you mean when you say their homework is what they didn't finish in class.
As far as people undermining teachers, I agree with you. Sam has had one teacher I had a problem with (above) and even then I stood behind her decisions and made him do it at home. I never yelled at her or criticized her and I certainly never bad mouthed her in front of Sam. But I have seen plenty of other parents get uppity with teachers and it's mostly for discipline issues. That's not your topic, so I won't go there... It's a whole other can... But you opened this one, so there you go.
Julie J. said…
P.S. I HATE SCIENCE FAIR! This is homework for the parents and I don't like it!
Studyvin Says said…
I agree on the science fair...not my favorite either! I also don't like pinewood derby for the same reason, the dads with the best power tools "helped" their sons build the best cars. Shhhh, don't tell your dad!
That's too bad about Sam's teacher...a bad teacher can do a LOT of harm and administrators need to have the guts to document that and get rid of them (another can). And in 5th grade he should probably only have about 50 minutes total of homework per night. It seems from what I'm hearing is we've got things backwards--too much homework when they're younger, not enough preparation for college when they're older...interesting!
Sandy said…
I think homework should only be the work they did not complete in class.. There.
Becky said…
I didn't mind homework as long as I felt like I was learning something. I hated "busy work"....no point.

I think that homework is necessary. Not in all subjects. Not in all units in a subject. But to reinforce concepts I think it is appropriate.

I agree with Julie, shouldn't exceed more than an hour a day...all classes combined.

With so many activities homework was hard to get done sometimes but it made me manage my time which you TOTALLY need in every aspect of life: work, personal, home, family.

And it made me accountable for something. Listen, understand, do it in the time allotted, get it back to school, turn it in. I think more people in our society should be held accountable for their work and their learning.
The Wells said…
I hate doing elementary math. Especailly since it is taught differently. I can show the kids how I get the right answer, but they tell me I am doing it wrong because that is not the way the teacher showed in class. That causes many homework fights.
J. said…
i don't think i am "in" far enough to completely say how i feel about this. i like the idea that what you don't finish in class should be the homework. my oldest is in second grade and there is homework but its not mandatory. the teacher does not provide consequences for not doing it. we counseled with the teacher about it because on one hand i feel like i should teach my kid she should do it anyways cuz you don't always get to do what you want...there are requirements and you do "just because" its the right thing to do. BUT the homework is spelling...she is supposed to write out her ten words every day BUT they do supplemental work based around this in class so my kid gets 100%s on all her tests b/c she is getting enough in class to "get it". same with her math and that is why i say "what's not finished in class could be the homework". some kids might need the extra practice...right now mine doesn't but the teacher makes it very confusing and my kid is bored doing work that isn't really helping her cuz she already "gets it" and without consequences it makes it harder for me to fight the homework battle at home. it IS a battle. i agree with the mom about the math homework. this is a real problem. how we learned how to do math isn't how our kids are learning how to do math. not really sure how to solve this issue...the parent's need a way to figure out or to be informed on the learning techniques...our teacher did go over some of that in conference with us. my kid is freaking out cuz "next year counts". thats what her teacher tells the kids "you better get used to doing it this year cuz next year it will count and if you don't bring it, you're gonna be in trouble". the teacher is sweet as a person but i think she is very young and inexperienced. overall, we will just see what next year brings us and cross that bridge when we get there. i've heard of parent's with kids who have hours of homework. i think this issue is deeper than just the homework thing. i think it goes to larger class sizes and lack of communication. should there be less...maybe in some cases. should there be none...probably not the answer. i do agree that the more involved families would be the ones helping with the homework. some days i wouldn't be involved with my kid enough if it wasn't for the homework. i think it does bring parents and kids together but hopefully not on a battle ground TOO much. it teaches us and our kids how to be patient, how to learn and communicate with one another, and how to work as a team, which are positives.

Popular Posts