50 Days: The Day

"Today's the day! The sun is shining! The tank is clean . . . THE TANK IS CLEAN?!" Favorite quote from Finding Nemo.

As I have approached this milestone birthday, I have not been excited. I know 50 is just a number but it's such an old number. It represents a HALF century of living. And while it beats the alternative, it still sounds so OLD. By the way, I share my birthday with the state of New Mexico and it is 101 today so I'm not the oldest one around!

But, also as I have approached this birthday, I have realized what I have gained during this 50 years of living. Besides all the normal things like my family and other relationships, I have gained a deep and abiding testimony in the Lord Jesus Christ. He is my personal Savior and I am a member of His true Church. I would not have my knowledge and love of the scriptures without my 50 years of living. And while I have a few regrets over the last 50 years, there's not a lot I would change. There's not a time I would go back to. (Although I would take my 17 year old body back in a heartbeat.) 

So without further ado, here's the last scriptures of this countdown. This first scripture is something we must never forget. D&C 18:10, "Remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of God." President Boyd K. Packer has said, "You are a child of God. He is the father of your spirit. Spiritually, you are of noble birth, the offspring of the King of Heaven. Fix that in your mind and hold to it. However many generations your mortal ancestry, no matter what race or people you represent, the pedigree of your spirit can be written on a single line. YOU ARE A CHILD OF GOD!" We. Must. Never. Forget. That!

I'd also like to share the testimony of Joseph Smith because his testimony cements my testimony. I won't quote the whole thing; you'll have to look it up! Joseph Smith History 1:11-20,25. Verse 25, "So it was with me. I had actually seen a light, and in the midst of that light I saw two Personages, and they did in reality speak to me; and though I was hated and persecuted for saying that I had seen a vision, yet it was true; and while they were persecuting me, reviling me, and speaking all manner of evil against me falsely for so saying, I was led to say in my heart: Why persecute me for telling the truth? I have actually seen a vision; and who am I that I can withstand God, or why does the world think to make me deny what I have actually seen? For I had seen a vision; I knew it, and I knew that God knew it, and I could not deny it, neither dared I do it; at least I knew that by so doing I would offend God, and come under condemnation." When I first gained my own testimony that was and still is the way I feel. I know it's true and I cannot deny it.

I've also gotten interested in searching out the last words of the prophets in the scriptures. I got this idea from the popular LDS youth speaker, John Bytheway. So check out his talks and books if you're interested. Here's the last words of some Book of Mormon prophets.
King Benjamin Mosiah 5:15, "Therefore, I would that ye should be steadfast and immovable, always abounding in good works, that Christ, the Lord God Omnipotent, may seal you his, that you may be brought to heaven, that ye may have everlasting salvation and eternal life, through the wisdom, and power, and justice, and mercy of him who created all things, in heaven and in earth, who is God above all. Amen."
Enos 1:27, "And I soon go to the place of my rest, which is with my Redeemer; for I know that in him I shall rest. And I rejoice in the day when my mortal shall put on immortality, and shall stand before him; then shall I see his face with pleasure, and he will say unto me: Come unto me, ye blessed, there is a place prepared for you in the mansions of my Father. Amen."
Jacob 7:27, "And I, Jacob, saw that I must soon go down to my grave; wherefore, I said unto my son Enos: Take these plates. And I told him the things which my brother Nephi had commanded me, and he promised obedience unto the commands. And I make an end of my writing upon these plates, which writing has been small; and to the reader I bid farewell, hoping that many of my brethren may read my words. Brethren, adieu."
Alma 45:2-17, "And it came to pass in the nineteenth year of the reign of the judges over the people of Nephi, that Alma came unto his son Helaman and said unto him: Believest thou the words which I spake unto thee concerning those records which have been kept?
And Helaman said unto him: Yea, I believe.
And Alma said again: Believest thou in Jesus Christ, who shall come?
And he said: Yea, I believe all the words which thou hast spoken.
And Alma said unto him again: Will ye keep my commandments?
And he said: Yea, I will keep thy commandments with all my heart.
Then Alma said unto him: Blessed art thou; and the Lord shall prosper thee in this land.

But behold, I have somewhat to prophesy unto thee; but what I prophesy unto thee ye shall not make known; yea, what I prophesy unto thee shall not be made known, even until the prophecy is fulfilled; therefore write the words which I shall say.
And these are the words: Behold, I perceive that this very people, the Nephites, according to the spirit of revelation which is in me, in four hundred years from the time that Jesus Christ shall manifest himself unto them, shall dwindle in unbelief.
Yea, and then shall they see wars and pestilences, yea, famines and bloodshed, even until the people of Nephi shall become extinct—
Yea, and this because they shall dwindle in unbelief and fall into the works of darkness, and lasciviousness, and all manner of iniquities; yea, I say unto you, that because they shall sin against so great light and knowledge, yea, I say unto you, that from that day, even the fourth generation shall not all pass away before this great iniquity shall come.
And when that great day cometh, behold, the time very soon cometh that those who are now, or the seed of those who are now numbered among the people of Nephi, shall no more be numbered among the people of Nephi.

But whosoever remaineth, and is not destroyed in that great and dreadful day, shall be numbered among the Lamanites, and shall become like unto them, all, save it be a few who shall be called the disciples of the Lord; and them shall the Lamanites pursue even until they shall become extinct. And now, because of iniquity, this prophecy shall be fulfilled.
And now it came to pass that after Alma had said these things to Helaman, he blessed him, and also his other sons; and he also blessed the earth for the righteous’ sake.
And he said: Thus saith the Lord God—Cursed shall be the land, yea, this land, unto every nation, kindred, tongue, and people, unto destruction, which do wickedly, when they are fully ripe; and as I have said so shall it be; for this is the cursing and the blessing of God upon the land, for the Lord cannot look upon sin with the least degree of allowance.
And now, when Alma had said these words he blessed the church, yea, all those who should stand fast in the faith from that time henceforth."
Moroni 10:34, "And now I bid unto all, farewell. I soon go to rest in the paradise of God, until my spirit and body shall again reunite, and I am brought forth triumphant through the air, to meet you before the pleasing bar of the great Jehovah, the Eternal Judge of both quick and dead. Amen."

I hope these aren't my last words but if they are, it is my testimony that the scriptures will bring comfort, joy, peace and a closeness with the Savior that is beyond belief. And I'm counting on the promise in the Doctrine and Covenants 62:3, "Nevertheless, ye are blessed, for the testimony which ye have borne is recorded in heaven for the angels to look upon; and they rejoice over you, and your sins are forgiven you. And now continue your journey." Amen.

Comments

Kathy said…
Happy Birthday!
Sandy said…
Happy Birthday dear sister in law.
Studyvin Says said…
Thanks! Wish we lived closer!

Popular Posts