This is why I teach

Sorry it's been so long since I've posted. Busy, busy!

The school year is off to a great start. As most know, I've finally graduated from middle school and am now teaching at the high school. I have two senior classes, three sophomore classes and a newspaper class. The newspaper class has been the one to present the most challenges. I'm a bit out of my element with the subtleties of journalism and the technical side of things. I'm slowly learning and have some great students to help. Check out our website.

I love my senior class. We are focusing on writing but took a break to read the first piece of literature in the English language--Beowulf. The original bears little resemblance to the Angelina Jolie film version. My students really got into the story, especially when they acted out the story as I read. It was quite entertaining. I can't wait to see their final projects on the poem.

My sophomores are kids I had in 8th grade. It's refreshing to see how they've grown up. Some have grown up more than others. We're getting ready to read To Kill a Mockingbird. It's not one of my favorites but I'm sure we'll have fun with it.

What really prompted this post was a gratifying Facebook post I recently received from one of my former Oklahoma students. This student has graduated from college and is working on her graduate degree. She made my week (probably my year) with her kind words:

Ms. Stud.............
I am just going to take the time to let you in on a little secret....
My good writing habits started way back when.....ya know. 
Anyways, I am apparently the master paper proofer here in grad school. I've marked up many a papers the last 2 days!! 
I just KNEW you'd be so very proud :-)
So, from all of my fellow classmates and myself, THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!!!
Also, I love and misssss you :-)))))


So if you had a teacher who made an impact on your life, in whatever way, write him or her a note. Let that teacher know what an influence he or she was. It will make the day of that teacher. We don't do what we do for money, fame, glory, or even thanks. We do what we do because we love our students and we love teaching. We don't expect thanks but it sure is nice when we hear it.
This is why I teach!

Comments

Sandy said…
I wish I could contact some of my teachers, but that was way before electronic keeping-track-of-teacher devices were invented. I had a few who I would love to acknowledge today.
Kathy said…
Sounds like a busy but good school year. And that is so wonderful to get that thank you from a former student.

Popular Posts