Airport Observations

Well as I sit here in the Phoenix international airport I had an urge to blog. I'm headed to San Diego for Josh's marine graduation and have a two hour layover. I promise to blog about graduation later.
I really hate flying. I'm not scared, I just hate the pressurized feeling, tight quarters and general airplane noises. About the only thing good about being on an airplane is the Sky Mall magazine. Who buys that crazy stuff? But as much as I hate flying, I absolutely LOVE airports. Maybe it's because I'm a people watcher but having a two hour layover is not a bad thing to me. Phoenix has a very nice airport but a major portion of it appears to be under construction. I love the huge windows. I love to watch the flurry of activity on the ground around an airplane. I love to watch people and try to imagine their back story. I was eating near two couples in their sixties obviously traveling together and not for the first time judging by the "remember when we" stories that were exchanged. What fun!
In the airport, I get caught up on all the latest news from the hundreds of CNN-tuned TV's. I know more than necessary about William and Kate's engagement. And why do most CNN reporters have a British accent--even the ones not covering royalty?
What I don't love about airports is the overpriced food and the blue tooth enabled people who really don't look cool but really look mentally ill because they're talking to themselves. And when did the "f" word become socially acceptable casual conversation filler. It's batted around WAY too much for these old teacher's ears. I don't want to hear other's conversations but I especially don't want to hear the f word used as an adjective every other word.
As I sit here waiting to board I see a young mother trying to keep two toddlers happy. I see numerous business travelers but the pleasure and family travelers are far more interesting. I hear many pages for people whose flight is about to leave. Did they just change their mind at the last minute? Who knows, but fun to speculate. I better head to the full-size restroom before I'm forced to use the Gulliver size on the airplane!

Comments

Julie J. said…
I like to people watch too.

Popular Posts