New year, new post. . . .finally!

Sorry to my faithful four readers (my sister-in-law and her daughters) for not posting more often. I keep having all these great ideas but can't seem to overcome personal inertia--you know--an object (me) at rest tends to stay at rest unless acted upon by some external force. I don't seem to have any external or internal force acting on my lately--I just feel like sitting. OR I suffer from information overload. I check my email, my bank balance, and my Facebook and then I'm done with technology. I need to stop with the excuses and make a life.

In the spirit of my niece Julie's blog I am resolving to blog more often. I don't think I'm ready for the daily attempt but I will try to blog weekly. So. . .

recent happenings with the Studyvin gang:

We had a nice, quiet Christmas with just Lindsey and Jordan. Our chicks are flying the coop. Laney and Josh both worked over Christmas. Laney just came to visit this week. I don't think we'll see Josh for a while. We are packed into a tiny rental house so we put up a tiny Charlie Brown Christmas tree, our stockings and a few Nutcrackers. That was it for our Christmas decorations. I collect Nutcrackers and have over 40 of them. The house we plan to build will have a built-in display cabinet for all my Nutcrackers to be displayed. But for now most of the Nutcrackers stay boxed up.

Before Christmas, Lindsey and I went to see The Nutcracker Ballet in Kansas City. My mom took me as a girl. I started taking each of my kids at least once. Once was enough for the boys but it became the girl tradition especially when we lived in Utah and could go to the Utah Regional Ballet at BYU for a reasonable price. Since leaving Utah we haven't gone every year but as often as we could find a close ballet--not an easy task in western Nebraska! This year we tried the Kansas City Ballet production. It was an awesome choice. They have a fine production. Lindsey and I had a great day that included lunch at Olive Garden--yum! The only thing missing was Laney but she couldn't get off work to be here. We girls plan to go see Wicked in St. Louis in the summer. We're watching the internet for when we can purchase our tickets and book our hotel.

With the Nutcracker and presents finished we hunkered down in the house and watched the snow pile up on Christmas day. We received about 6 inches which doesn't sound like much but after the wind drifted it in huge piles and dumped it on our country driveway, we were stuck at home. We couldn't enjoy our Christmas tradition of seeing a movie. Luckily for us our wonderful neighbor with a tractor plowed the driveway and liberated us in time to see Sherlock Holmes the day after Christmas. I give that movie 3 stars, Roy only 2. I mean Roy gives the movie 2 stars NOT that I only give Roy 2 stars-ha, ha! He didn't like the movie portrayal of Holmes as a weird, kind of creepy guy. But the portrayal was actually fairly accurate to the novels.

Roy took several days off between Christmas and New Years so we were able to get reacquainted. He's been working such long hours lately that I've felt like a single mom again. We celebrated our 26th anniversary on the 29th of December. He took me out for a whole day of fun: movie, food, looking at houses, driving the long way and just spending time together. I loved it! We saw Did you hear about the Morgans? It was cute especially if you like Hugh Grant. He's not my favorite but the Red State/Blue State jokes were fun.

On one of his days off we took the kids to see The Princess Frog. Actually Jordan went to see Alvin and the Chipmunks. I was disappointed with Princess. It really didn't have any catchy songs that we left the theater singing. We went to lunch at Chick-fil-A--our new favorite fast food place since they close on Sundays. Unfortunately the closest one is about 40 miles away so it's not a regular stop. The highlight of the dining experience was the Chick-fil-A calendar we received for purchasing a $20 gift card. The calendar features cows portraying great Cow Literature. The pictures and captions were hysterical. (I'll do a separate post all about the calendar because I left the calendar at school.)

We've experienced several more snow storms since Christmas as well as bitter cold temperatures. The highs have been between 10 and 14 above zero. We are receiving more snow as I write this. It is supposed to start blowing later tonight so I expect our driveway to be impassible by morning. With that in mind, Roy parked near the road and walked home--brrrrr!

Laney arrived before the latest storm and we went shopping yesterday. There's a great shopping place in Kansas City called Zona Rosa. It is not an indoor mall--all the shops open to the outside. That's not my favorite way to shop in 10 degree weather but the shops are amazing. It is shopping Nirvana for my girls with Buckle, American Eagle, Aeropostale, Forever 21 etc etc all in one convenient location. My favorite is the two-story Barnes and Noble. I could live there. I love to browse, find something to read, a chair to lounge in, and enjoy the day. I even like the smell of coffee. We found a cute dress for Lindsey for her birthday but in the wrong size so then we had to travel to St. Joseph, MO about 35 miles from where we were. We didn't get home until after dark and I was tired but the girls had a great time. Jordan tagged along and got boxers for his time. We also ate Baskin Robbins ice cream--double yum! Are you seeing a pattern here--food = good times for me which unfortunately = too much me!

There's no school tomorrow because of the snow and cold so I'll try to continue updating life with the Studyvin gang including pictures of our Charlie Brown tree, fixing Lindsey's hair, snow, and more snow!

Comments

Sandy said…
We all like Sherlock Holmes. They left out the Opium Dens and I am dying to see who Moriarty is going to be. Sequel!!!!
Love Barnes & Noble too, never been to Chick Fil A, and you have more than 4 readers:)
Julie J. said…
I too love a good book store and the smell of coffee is the icing on the cake for me. I love it! Did you find any good books? I look forward to reading more posts, but I have to give the credit to Becky. She started the daily challenge.

Popular Posts