Restroom Ramblings

It's been a while since I've posted and what do I think of to blog about- - - public restrooms. Let me explain. We went to a movie theater in Kansas City and as it says in Oklahoma the musical. . . . everything's up-to-date in Kansas City. This restroom was totally automated. Roy joked that he didn't even have to unzip! The toilet flushed itself; the water at the sink was motion activated; the soap was also motion activated. But best of all was the hand dryer. Usually I don't like to use hand dryers. They never really dry the hands so I end up drying on my pants--not too attractive if I'm anywhere but McDonald's. This hand dryer was a fancy new-fangled invention by the Dyson company. (I have and LOVE their vacuum!) This dryer was not just a box on the wall with a nozzle of blowing air; no, this dryer was created to dry both hands at once, from both sides. Both freshly washed hands are placed into an open hand-shaped slot; the air automatically starts when the hands are sensed in the slot. The air is warm but not too hot or too strong. And literally within 10 seconds the hands are dry. The dryer stops when the hands are removed. I was amazed and pleasantly surprised at this wonderful invention. Wish I'd brought my camera!
As Roy and I discussed our bathroom experience, I was reminded of some of the public bathroom frustrations I've endured. I guess I have some pet peeves where public restrooms are concerned. I really don't like the auto flush toilets. I don't think they really save any water because when I'm seated, I seem to somehow initiate a premature flush many times. Then when I really am finished, the dumb toilet doesn't seem to sense that and refuses to flush. Also as I said before, I don't like air dryers (except the Dyson variety). They take too long and dry out the hands and they're LOUD. But before getting to the dryers, one must negotiate the auto sink and soap dispenser. I feel like Houdini trying to make the water and soap appear when and where I want it. And have you noticed the sinks in Walmart? They seem to hide the spigot so one never knows where the water will come from. And to avoid the ineffective hand dryers one must use paper towels--again Houdini is needed if the towel dispenser is automated. I feel like I'm a flag girl on the drill team madly waving my hands in front of the magical towel dispenser. Or the ones that aren't automated- - - do I crank a handle, do I pull on the towel, do I push a button? And they never dispense enough towel. At least it's been years since I've seen the actual towel dispenser where the towel winds around the dispenser--remember those germ-infested treats! I'd share our elevator experience from this movie theater but I'll save that for another time.
Roy suggests I write a book about all this nonsense- - - I will right after I use the restroom!

Comments

The Wells said…
We were in a public restroom with our Kelsey who is learning to use the potty. She thought she was pretty cool for telling us she needed to go. I helped her on the pot and before she could go - it flushed. She jumped off so fast I thought she would wet her pants. She did not want to get back on that potty. I calmed her down and with out incident, she did her business and left quickly.

Popular Posts