Things come in Threes

It's been a tough few weeks for me. Just when I get a little complacent or think I can handle life with Roy away . . . WHAM! I'm reminded that not only do I need a husband and we need to be in the same state, I also need my Heavenly Father. Why does it seem that I need to be humbled to remember Heavenly Father.
Here's the tale of the last few weeks: We had another ice storm--not as bad as last year--we were never without power--but we were out of school for a few days and the roads were icy. The kids and I were enjoying our cozy warm house and warm beds for the first two days, but then on the third day we decided to venture out into the world to do some shopping. The roads were pretty clear by this point so we were chugging along toward our favorite Wal-mart. I was driving in the slow lane when a car started to pass me. This driver had not bothered to clear the ice off of his car. ( I say "his" because it had to be a man!) As he was passing me, a HUGE chunk of ice flew off his car and landed on my windshield causing large spiderweb cracks all throughout. It scared us all pretty badly but luckily the windshield held and no one was hurt. The other car sped off probably not even realizing what he had done, and I didn't have time to get a license number. So I'm thinking, "OK, that could have been worse, I'll just get it replaced with the next paycheck."
Two days later I was at school working in the library when Laney called hysterically telling me she had just rearended a car in Tulsa. She had been home for a few days to pick up her new lap-top. I was pretty calm and got to Tulsa in time for the tow truck, the police, the insurance info exchange and all that. She had calmed down and very luckily no one was hurt in any vehicle. I picked up a rental car as soon as possible and she took my broken windshield van back to college. We soon found out her little red Chevy Cobalt was no more and started the process of finding her something else to drive while I continued to drive the rental. We found her a replacement Chevy HHR the next Saturday and sent her back to college. I was supposed to return the rental on Monday and continued to drive it all weekend.
We went to church on Sunday; Roy was with us and then left to return to KC. I took a nap and then met a sister at the church. We planned to visit another sister in the hospital in Tulsa. On the way to Tulsa: again I was driving in the slow lane--a car drifted into my lane and hit me on the driver's side. We were able to get off the road safely and no other cars were involved. The other driver stopped. She was hysterical. She was in her late twenties. Her excuse for hitting us was that she had just gotten her lip pierced (it was red and swollen) and she was rinsing her mouth out with water and came into our lane. We waited for a while for the police but they didn't come. The damage to the rental was minor but it will need new paint. When I returned the rental, I had to pay my deductable AGAIN and IF the rental company is able to collect on the other driver's insurance I'll get that money back.
So through all this fun and excitment Roy hasn't been with me (only the car buying) and I've been pretty calm and handling things well. After the rental accident, Roy reminded me that things come in threes so we should be done--I hope so. By the Tuesday after the rental accident, I still hadn't gotten the windshield replaced and I was worried about it. We had a tremendous thunderstorm with hail predicted come through on Tuesday night. I was out driving the kids to Mutual and going to Josh's swim meet in broken windshield Vanna (that's her name now since we've been through so much together). It was thundering and lightning very hard while we were on our way home from Mutual and I just knew the windshield would end up in our laps. We made it home safely but the last few weeks just came crashing (not literally thank goodness) down on me and I had a melt down: tears etc. etc. I wasn't as calm and brave I as thought and I miss my husband terribly. Husbands and wives are not meant to be apart. And another lesson: don't get your lip pierced and go driving down the freeway trying to rinse out your mouth!

Comments

Julie J. said…
I cringe just reading all of this. I have a serious case of post traumatic stress and I prefer
to drive because I feel more in control, but I still stress because I know there are other people out there who are only thinking about themselves. (Wow, that's a major run-on sentence!) I'm glad to hear you all came out of it safely.
Studyvin Says said…
Thanks, Julie. I'd forgotten about your accident. I bet you have PTSD.
Sandy said…
I can sure vouch for the part that husbands and wives are not meant to be apart.

Popular Posts