To what group do I belong?

I've been hearing a lot in the news about Baby Boomers, Gen X, the Millennials etc to describe different age groups in society. It got me thinking--what group am I? Technically, I'm a Baby Boomer--one of the last--the boom being over by 1964. But I don't feel like a Boomer (however that's supposed to feel). I don't feel like my shopping choices impact society. I don't feel this great bonding with other Boomers. To me they're old, and I'm not there yet! I don't belong with a group including Hillary and Bill Clinton and Tom Brokaw. (But that might be more because of politics than age.) I don't feel this great revolution that my generation supposedly caused. BUT I'm not a Gen X'er either. I didn't grow up after the computer or video game became popular. (Remember Pong?--then you're part of whatever my generation is). And I'm definitely not a Millennial. I was most definitely "of age" before the new millennium dawned. All of my children had been born by the year 2000.
So what am I? A semi-boomer, a late-boomer, a late bloomer, ha ha!
I need help (in more ways than one) figuring this out. So here's what I remember--see if you can help me figure out a group I belong in.
  • If you typed (on a typewriter) all your college papers, you're in my group.
  • If you grew up watching The Ten Commandments, The Sound of Music and The Wizard of Oz only once a year when it came on TV, you're in my group.
  • If you vaguely remember Watergate (your dad watching it on TV), you're in my group.
  • And if when the Watergate hearings were on TV it was on every channel, you're in my group.
  • If you can remember a gallon of gas costing less than a dollar but not a nickle, you're in my group.
  • If you went to the original Star Wars movie before you could drive, you're in my group.
  • If you remember Harrison Ford and Robert Redford as hunks and not political activists, you're in my group.
  • If you remember the debate between VHS and Beta, you belong with me.
  • If you don't remember where you were when Kennedy was assassinated but you were alive, you're in my crowd.
  • If the first time you voted was when Reagan was running, you're with me.
  • If you remember when Northern California didn't look like Southern California, we're together.
  • If you remember the first Laker/Celtic rivalry, we belong together.
  • And finally, if you wore bell bottom jeans as a teen not a mom, you're in my realm of existence.

So all of you in my group--let's think of name for us. Let's start something. Let's be a force to be reckoned with!!!

Stay tuned next time for my thoughts on Dickens and text messaging.

Comments

The Wells said…
I am not in your group, but I have strange memories of some of them. Like being at the first Star Wars Movie, but I think I was born that day. Dad would know.
Judithallene said…
Hi Studyvin Family,
I am also a Studyvin, by birth. My Dad's name was Gib and His parents were William and Hazel Studyvin from Kansas. I was just wondering because I don't see my beautiful maiden name, Studyvin, everyday.
Sincerely, Judy Studyvin/Henderson

Popular Posts