Text Messaging

On many occasions I've been dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century. One of them has been in the area of text messaging. Being a mother of teenagers and a teacher of teenagers (call me crazy) I've been familiar with instant messaging and text messaging for a while. I've been very resistant to jump into the mix. I have read and graded a large number of English essays filled with teen shorthand i.e.--lol, idk, brb, ttyl, nm, g2g, bff, etc. Reading teen shorthand in essays is like finger nails on the chalk board to me. So I have kept a moral or linguistic superiority by refusing to get caught up in the text messaging craze. But more than anything having 3, almost 4, teens living with me has forced me into the hip world of texting. The teens all have cell phones and we have unlimited text messaging on the plan (we couldn't afford it otherwise). Recently when I would call one of my teens, they wouldn't answer but rather text me back. After many attempts at voice conversations with them, I gave up and started texting. If I want to know where they are, I text. If I want them to come home, I text. If I need them to do an errand, I text. And surprisingly, they answer and comply. I'm not sure what the hang up is with having a phone conversation but oh well. I've even starting using a bit (a very little bit) of teen short hand texting. I use "u" for "you" and "r" for "are" and just the other day I used "idk" when Lindsey asked when I would be home. I still enforce standard English usage and grammar in written papers. When pointing out the difference between standard, written English and casual speech or texting, I love to use the example that I wouldn't wear a bathing suit to a funeral (in fact my students wouldn't want to see me in a bathing suit at all) and so just as there is different attire for different occasions, there is different forms of English for different occasions. I don't accept text shorthand in any form in their papers. So. . . . i g2g but i'll brb when i can ttyl. lol!

Comments

Julie J. said…
Becky left her cell phone at my house the other day so I tried to texted Nathan, who she was with, that it was at my house and it took me about 15 minutes from start to finish. I have a prepayed cell so I never text.
But one of my pet peeves is when I'm having a conversation with some one, in person, and they look at their phone and grin and then I see their fingers flying.
Hello! Give your attention to the person right in front of you!

Popular Posts