Great book

I'm reading this great book right now. It's called The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards. It's about a doctor who, because of a snow storm, has to deliver his twins. The first one is a boy and healthy. The second one is a girl born with Down's. The doctor's wife is drugged at the time of the birth and doesn't know what's happening. The story is set in the 1960's when drugs were used more readily for child-birth. The doctor gives his daughter to his nurse and tells her to take the baby to an institution. But he tells his wife the baby died at birth. The nurse decides to keep the baby and raise her as her own. The novel shows both of the children's parallel lives and how the secret the doctor keeps tears his family apart. I'm not done with it so I don't know if there's a reconcilliation at the end. But it is beautifully written with almost lyrical prose.

I was telling my students about the book, and one of them asked me if I had cried and I said, "Not yet," because I think I will.
A great book--my 4 star recommendation for at least until I read something else!

Comments

Popular Posts